Skip to main content

From a Business Analyst to a Product Manager

Being a business analyst is probably the easiest part of the product manager.

I did not start out as a product manager and the role evolved naturally.

When I started my role in the product team, the following questions kept coming back.
  • Why are we doing this product? Is there enough need out there and do we know what returns we would get?
  • Do we know who we are building for and what are we building?
While these are innocuous questions that can be posed to a business analyst working on any IT project, what differed was there were no one person or team we could pose these questions to to arrive at answers.

We could also not design workshops in case there were multiple stakeholders to arrive at these answers.

I ended up doing the following and slowly what I started doing defined the role that I had taken up.
  • I started doing market research to understand what are the market segments available for my product
  • Visiting retailers and trying to understand their pain points helped us understand what we should build and who we should build for
  • Carrying lo-fi and functional prototypes to demonstrate and receive feedback.
However I would soon find out that there was way more to the product manager role than what meets the eye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Journey in Inquiry and Advocacy - An experience report

It is recently that I have consciously started practicing Inquiry. Let me explain. I am a consultant who constantly looks at the situation and comes up and implements the solution to progress from there. While I do that, I constantly use Inquiry as a means to progress - one of the key facilitation technique specifically in multiple stakeholder situations.

Principles for developing systems that are anti-fragile

I have been trying to make sense of what anti-fragility means and how do I use that in my day job. As a Business Principal, I tend to work with the abstract but orchestrate a program of work that needs details. This makes my job a little difficult in the terms of designing for more self-preserving systems that preserve the spirit of the abstracted strategy or vision. I came across an article from Daniel Russo on anti-fragility and his attempt at creating a manifesto similar to the manifesto for agile software development. For more reading on Daniel Russo, here is his profile:  http://djrusso.github.io More reading from his paper here:  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050916302290 This post is an attempt for me to understand what goes into developing a program that uses every opportunity to strengthen itself and achieve its objective - the vision.  I liked the approach of principles for developing systems that are anti-fragile. It is a very valua

User Personas

User Personas are a very good tool for the product owners, business analysts or product managers to be able to co-create with designers. It is predominantly a product of the user research and should not be an amalgamation of demographic data. It is the best way for us to list all scenarios that a persona would take when they want to attain a goal. It is predominantly used to build empathy with user, focus the team and build consensus in a large diverse stakeholder group. The website I referred to is here:  https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/08/a-closer-look-at-personas-part-1/