Skip to main content

My Journey in Inquiry and Advocacy - An experience report

It is recently that I have consciously started practicing Inquiry.

Let me explain. I am a consultant who constantly looks at the situation and comes up and implements the solution to progress from there.

While I do that, I constantly use Inquiry as a means to progress - one of the key facilitation technique specifically in multiple stakeholder situations.





When I came across Systems Thinking 7 years back, It was initially overwhelming and I was not mature enough to appreciate that. It took me a good 3 years for me to have situations that pushed me to look for tools that would help me when I am looking at the wall in terms of direction in specific instances.

I have travelled a long way from there. One area where I have not invested enough effort is that I have not consciously tried to practice what I learn or read. 

Recently I read up on Inquiry and Advocacy as a part of deconstructing mental models - The first discipline in the Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge. I realised that, while I knew what they were, I had hardly had consciously practice and hence I was not using them effectively. I found that practicing them more would help me internalise how to use them in several situations.

Let me illustrate the exact instance when this dawned on me.

I started my day with my team on a fine morning in a discussion. 
Very quickly, our topic of discussion brought out different points of view and each of us were stuck to what we thought was right from our own perspectives.
 I was so deaf that when the other person was literally telling me - This is my opinion because I think this is how the situation is. 
He was practically listing out his mental model to me.

I was so much in the moment that I lost that opportunity to use inquiry. It took me a few minutes to understand that I have not internalised the concept of Inquiry or Advocacy that well. 

How can I claim to be a Consultant when I believe this is the most basic skill?


I promised that I would practice Inquiry and Advocacy at least 10 times in the next 15 days. I am pretty close - 8 times in the last 5 days and I am already excited. 

While that is a threshold, I am not going to stop practicing it consciously till I am confident I have internalised the concept well enough. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Principles for developing systems that are anti-fragile

I have been trying to make sense of what anti-fragility means and how do I use that in my day job. As a Business Principal, I tend to work with the abstract but orchestrate a program of work that needs details. This makes my job a little difficult in the terms of designing for more self-preserving systems that preserve the spirit of the abstracted strategy or vision. I came across an article from Daniel Russo on anti-fragility and his attempt at creating a manifesto similar to the manifesto for agile software development. For more reading on Daniel Russo, here is his profile:  http://djrusso.github.io More reading from his paper here:  https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050916302290 This post is an attempt for me to understand what goes into developing a program that uses every opportunity to strengthen itself and achieve its objective - the vision.  I liked the approach of principles for developing systems that are anti-fragile. It is a very valua

User Personas

User Personas are a very good tool for the product owners, business analysts or product managers to be able to co-create with designers. It is predominantly a product of the user research and should not be an amalgamation of demographic data. It is the best way for us to list all scenarios that a persona would take when they want to attain a goal. It is predominantly used to build empathy with user, focus the team and build consensus in a large diverse stakeholder group. The website I referred to is here:  https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/08/a-closer-look-at-personas-part-1/